Alyce J. Peterson Natural Area
79 acres in Mecosta Township, Mecosta County and established in 2008, this preserve was received from the estate of Alyce J. Peterson, a long-time Mecosta County resident, who wanted her property to be protected as a wildlife sanctuary. A farm house and several outbuildings that once constituted the family farmstead have been removed.
There is a single pole building remaining on the property for future use. A small parking area is located on the NE corner of the preserve, off 180th Avenue. We are grateful to the following partners who provided support to the project to remove safety hazards, restore the former farmstead site to nature and provide signage:
- Fremont Area Community Foundation/Ice Mountain Environmental Stewardship Fund
- Mecosta County Community Foundation
- Nestle Waters, N.A., Inc.
- Muskegon River Watershed Assembly
- Symon Excavating/Medler Trucking